#72 GRIEF

A beautiful young woman who was serving me breakfast today--when asked how she was--burst into tears: "my grandmother died a few days ago and nobody seems to care." "The world just keeps humming along and nobody stops to hear my heart ache."
Humminggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg...and so it goes. We are so wounded and nobody appears to notice...sometimes even ourselves. 

I really love the Jewish custom of wearing black arm bands for one month when there is a death in the family. I wore one for 911, and when my beloved dog, Buddy, died.  It tells the world: "I am aching, my heart is broken, please treat me tenderly.  Tenderness...what a precious commodity in a world rushinghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh by. 
She hugged me...I returned her gesture.  I hope I was "still enough" for her...and her departed grandmother.

Comments

patty schnase said…
You were a spiritual being to this woman. One can only hope that whenever there is grief a wonderful spiritual being will appear to give love and strength to the broken hearted. This will heal our world - love and compassion.
Patty