# 45 "An unexamined Life is not worth living." (Socrates...I think)?


I often give this exercise, (below in blue), in the classes that I teach.
I do so because I want everyone whose life I have been privileged to touch, to realize that even in our darkest moments, our "mistakes" can be one of our greatest teachers and ultimately, one of our greatest triumphs.
I have made so many mistakes in my own life, broke peoples hearts, broke my own, lost my will to finish something I should have never started, failed to say my Goodbyes to so many, many people. But I am--at almost 61--a different and at times-- even a better person because of my failings. My lost, meandering soul helped others to find their own path--to find their light. And that is a good thing indeed.
"What other reason are we here than to help lighten another's burdens," my Irish mother use to say. She was right.
She is that beautiful woman in the photo at the top of my blog today.
Anyway, the exercise is below:
Here are the questions
1. I want you to remember a mistake that you made when you were little--that in looking back-- taught you a valuable lesson. 2. What was that mistake? 3.What did it teach you?
4. How is your life better because of that mistake?
If you care to comment, I would like to hear about your "mistake journeys." I would even published them on this blog, (anonymously, of course). It might help someone...

Blessings and Mischief, Allison

Comments

Anonymous said…
One of my earliest recollections of a mistake in childhood, had to do with guessing the colors of "spicette" candies(the gumdrop ones w/ the different colors, coated w/ sugar). My father would challenge me and my sister, me, about 4yrs of age and her about 5, to correctly name the color of the piece he selected and we could have it. If we didn't know the color, he would eat it, and the guessing would continue, as we all satisfied our sweetooth. I recall making many mistakes when guessing my colors, and often (what I recall anyway) was a message of "you should have known better" and a message that I couldn't even learn my colors right, so therefore I must be stupid. Now I dont know that this was told to me in this instance, although it had been a frequent message I received from my father on other occasions who so wanted me to excel.
So from these "mistakes on my colors" I learned to work hard and with practice I would improve, I learned that we are rewarded for our intelligence, I learned perseverence, I learned that it's important to "get it right" (especially the first time), and probably many more lessons.
My life is better because of the mistakes I made, regarding guessing my colors. I work hard today to do a good job, knowing that there is always room for improvement, I take pride in learning. I have also learned that we all need to hear "good job" and better yet, "good try", when we are truly doing the best we can. I know that even if I don't get all my "colors" right today, there will always be more "spicedrops" tomorrow.
This is so moving--thank you for it. You are the only one that sent me something, and that has made such a difference. May I publish you tender memory?
Also, thank you for emailing me for another reason. I was wondering if my blog touched anyone or that anyone out there was reading it. The answer to my question of 10-12-07. Because of you I will begin to blog again--and any goodness that comes from the blog--will have your spirit on it--and I thank you for that.