# 46 On Grief...


When you grieve
you're like a tree hit by a tornado.
Some of your roots are pulled up.
You're twisted and bent.
Your leaves have been stripped.
Your bark is loosened.
And worse of all,
one of your big limbs has been brutally broken off.
You will never be the same.
Eventually, slowly, your roots grow back.
You experience a new growth of leaves.
You straighten up and reach out again.
But the limb never grows back
It becomes covered with a natural scar tissue.
For ever after, you will be aware of the tornado
and the tremendous change it made in your life.
This excerpt is from the forward of the pamphlet
Grief: What It Is and What You Can Do
by Joy and Dr. Marvin Johnson

Comments

Anonymous said…
Catching up on reading the excerpts on the blog when I ran across this one. What an accurate description of how it feels to loose someone you love. I was recently helping my granddaughter write a book report. She was to relate how one of the characters in the book had experienced something similar in life as she had. She wrote" the character in my book was with her father when he died. My father died too but I was too little to remember much about the day it happened. All I know is my heart feels empty sometimes and I know my dad is supposed to be here to fill the emptiness. Life doesn't stop and I can't either. I love you dad" My granddaughter is twelve, she lost her dad when she was 2.