#20 Ten Thousand


"The Buddha said that in this life we would experience ten thousand joys and ten thousand sorrows. He understood that suffering is the thread that runs through the entire fabric of our lives. Whatever we desire, whatever we own, whatever we covet, will pass away. All that we have, including our very lives, we will someday lose. Even when we get what we want, we worry about the day it will disappear. And so we all experience suffering. This, said the Buddha, is the First Noble Truth. We all experience suffering. In this moment, however, we can feel most human, in kinship with all who have felt the deep despair of a broken heart. This is not angry resignation, born of defeat; this is a deep, loving acceptance that what we are given has become our companion and our teacher, regardless of how painful, unwelcome or unjust. Jesus told the Rabbi not to look for why the suffering came but to listen for what the suffering could teach them." (Legacy of the Heart: The Spiritual Advantages of a Painful Childhood by Wayne Muller) This is really an wonderful book. And draws from many religions and philosophies. As the Dalai Lama states: "Loving Kindness, first to ourselves, and then to others. It's kind of like, GOD has given us the capacity for such loving hearts, and for me, the desire to turn my "scars into stars" to quote Robert Schuller...to use my suffering as my teacher.
I have tried to assume this "posture" all of my life; as stated before, so much I learned from my mother's influence. 


 There is a story that I just love. Alex Haley, the author of Roots, tells the story of his days being a "cub" reporter for The New York Times. It was in the early 50's and he--as he puts it--was black and scared. He was asked to interview a King or Prince of some country, (I can't remember anymore)...he was of Royalty...let's leave it at that. Haley met him at the Plaza Hotel to interview him over lunch.
When Haley sat down to eat he had at least 20 pieces of silverware next to his plate. Not knowing what to do Haley just started anywhere and saw that the King was following Haley's lead--mimicking exactly what Haley was doing. So after the congenial lunch was over Haley said his goodbyes and left. "It was not until years later that I realized that my choice and type of silverware was completely wrong; the King had copied Haley so as not to embarrass him."
That story still touches my heart and was told to me over 20 years ago...I aspire to that kind of humbleness of heart. I am told that humble means teachable...and perhaps those of us who have experienced brokeness can make a difference to others. I hope.

Comments