#1 27 Seconds


I had the privilege of meeting a homeless woman in the restroom at at substance abuse treatment center where I work. She was mostly talking to herself, but when she came out of her stall she asked me if I knew I place that she could spend the night. I am a chaplain and familiar with the area shelters and referred her to it with phone etc. She then said: " 27 seconds--that's all that it gives me--27 seconds." I believe she was referring to the time that her drug of choice gave her some semblance of peace; I know that experience well. I think perhaps there are many of us in and out of "Recovery" where that 27 seconds kept us alive--me for sure. I gave her a pin that I carry on me at all times that states: "GOD is LOVE." She thanked me and left. An hour later I saw her at the shelter, and sure enough she had that pin on her shirt. I also quietly gave her $10.00 to do with it what she would. I can't get her sweet but battered face out of my heart. Perhaps 27 seconds is all that a loving Higher Power asks of us...if we could just heed the "call" that comes our way, everyday, to make it just a little bit easier --and in so many ways--for those that pass our way.

Comments

That is so true, and at the same time so awe inspiring, while instilling a sense of responsibility in us that helps the world go round. We may never know when something that we say, or do, can affect things for other people. Something like the butterfly effect, but on a more personal level.

There was a man that came to me for help finding a place to stay while waiting for treatment and I found him a place to stay. He came back a few months later and thanked me for saving his life, he said he was at his end and that the few moments it took for me to do this was a deciding factor in whether this man lived or died.

This really moved me and made me think about all the small saving graces that we all perform without realizing it or how much we could accomplish if we tried just a little harder or just a little more often. Kathy C
Anonymous said…
You leave yourself within a person's heart every time you speak. I truly enjoy seeing you and learning from your wisdom. I do believe that when we leave this earth we will be judged not by who we are, what we have, but instead what we give others. Thank you for the rose, the lessons and the love. You are one of the most generous,loving, kind and honest individuals I have ever met. I have been blessed. ~ "Suzie"